Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In the beginning...

Ok, so many many people have been asking when I will start a website for baby numero dos... so here it is, but instead of just including our Peanut, I'm including Ryan in here as well. I've started a blog for him, but keeping up with 2 blogs along with my very busy (and soon to become busier) schedule, would just be a ridiculous expectation of myself... so rather than fooling anyone, I'll start fresh with both children...

So here is a brief background minus the little details... Brett and I met during my junior year of college at Methodist University (way back when it was Methodist College, and I will forever refer to it as such). We dated for a little over a year, got engaged on my birthday in 2005, got married in September of 2006, bought a house in Feb 2007, got preggers in March 2007 with Ryan, Ryan was born in December of 2007, we moved back to Fayetteville in July of 2009... and finally, here we are, preggers again with baby Peanut #2, due September 7 of 2010. We've done a LOT in 4 years, huh?

Now on to the good stuff... Ryan is 2 years old. I decided I'd stop referring to his age in months, but secretly I still do. So, to make myself happy, he's 26 months old. :) He's a strong-willed, hilarious, fireball of pure boy! Not a day goes by that the child doesn't make us laugh, whether it is something he does, or something he's said, or a look on his face. I can't help but smile and forget about all the problems of the world when I look at him. Cliche, I know, but so true. Ryan was named after the Ryan family; Chris, Susan, Christopher, Joshua, & Caleb. Chris passed away in September of 2003. The whole family has been influential in mine and Brett's lives that we named Ryan after them. Ryan's middle name is Michael, after Brett and my brother. I like names with meanings. I have a hard time just naming a child because I just like the name. I know, silly, but I want my children's names to be strong and mean something. Later on when he's old enough, he'll know why he was named Ryan Michael and my hope is that he will appreciate it for the meaning and the simplicity of the spelling since his last name is such a bear!

This pregnancy has been very different from my pregnancy with Ryan. It seems like I've had every symptom in the book! With Ryan, I hardly had any except being super tired all the time. We found out super early that we were expecting. I had an IUD (intra-uterine device) put in just after Ryan was born. It is, by far, the best birth control I've ever used. We had it removed in December 2009 thinking it would take at least 2 months to get pregnant again (thoughts based on research done prior to removal). Well, surprise, surprise...right before Christmas, first cycle and bam! Preggers! All the emotions and feelings came at once. I was freaked out, I was happy, I was worried that something would go wrong, etc. etc. etc. So, after 6 pee-sticks (yeah, I'm a tad obsessive), I called the doctor. They brought me in and couldn't determine a conception date, so we went in for an early ultrasound and there was nothing there but a gestational sac. I was bummed. I thought surely I was further along than the ultrasound said and I was convinced that this was a sign of a miscarriage. I had a miscarriage just before we conceived Ryan and I was absolutely surprised and devastated. I didn't want to be shocked again, so I prepared myself for bad news. 2 weeks later, we went in for a second ultrasound and there was our Peanut, with a great heartbeat and everything! We told close friends and family at that point, but decided to wait to tell work people and the "facebook world" until we had our first official OB appointment which included another ultrasound. That was Feb 11th! A whole month away! I didn't think I could do it. I was starting to show, I was sick as a dog, I was tired. There was no way I was going to be able to keep this a secret. But we did! And on the 11th, we went in again, had another ultrasound saw the heartbeat, saw a cute little noggin, 2 arms, 2 legs and we are in baby heaven!

Today we are 12 weeks. I have no idea how much weight I have gained. Some days I feel like a cow, others I hardly feel pregnant at all. My belly has a little pooch to it, but nothing that really resembles a baby bump (I'll post pictures later). I have no strong feelings as to the gender. There are positives and negatives to both. I think it would be totally awesome for Ryan to have a little brother. It would certainly be easier, since we've been there, done that! :) Plus, I've always thought of myself as a Mama to boys, even before Ryan was born. On the other hand, a girl would bring something to our family that we've never experienced. It would be the first granddaughter on Brett's side to go along with 4 grandsons! But, oh my, how broke would I be buying all those bows and dresses and frilly pink and purple thinks. All those accessories and what about when she gets older? Holy Cow! With Ryan, I just have to worry about him and a bunch of crazy girls, but with a daughter... WOW! I don't even want to think about it! Plus, I know how I was when I was 14, 15, 16 years old... Good Lord! God help me and Brett! :) Hehe! But seriously, either way, we will be thrilled.

Our next appointment is March 16th. I will be about 16 weeks, so no ultrasound then. Boo! But we'll hear the heartbeat and do the usual pee in cup, get weight, measure belly, etc. The BIG ultrasound will be in April!

I think that's enough for now. In the meantime, I'll be playing around with the look of this blog, posting pictures, posting stories and funny "Ryanisms."

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment