5 months later... I'm still here! Just busy! I do want to take some time to record my thoughts and feelings on yesterday's passing of Amendment One, which makes any union other than that of a man and a woman illegal in the state of North Carolina. Yes, it's politics and religion, so if you don't want to read or will be offended, stop now.
Even though I speak openly to my children about love and acceptance of those who are different than our family of four, my hope is that one day they will read this blog. I want Ryan, Liam, and any other children we may have to remember exactly what our family values are and what we stand for. If they think differently from me and their father, fine, but they will know what we stand for during this turbulent time in US and NC history. My hope is when they grow up, they will look back on today, just as I look back at the issue of racism during the civil rights movement, and ask me, "Mama, did that really happen? Because it's not like that now!"
I stand for freedom and equality. I try my best to live by the Golden Rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated. Or, if I were to quote the Bible, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." My parents and my grandparents taught me this through their words, actions and leadership. I am grateful for that. They also taught me to think freely and be confident in my words and actions. However, my mother would tell you that I have an issue with word vomit. My father is famous for giving me "the look" when I speak my mind. Other members of my family and some friends have been known to censor my outspokenness to prevent arguments and uneasiness within the family.
Yesterday I was told that I need to "suck it up and deal with the political crap like we all have to deal with it...life goes on."
Yes, life does go on, you are correct. However, sucking it up and dealing with it is not the answer. Think about history. If America sucked up terrorism, would Osama bin Laden be ruling our country? If America sucked up racism and dealt with it, where would we as a nation be today? If founders of this country sucked up the religious crap they were dealing with in "the old world", would America even be here?
There are some people that were born and bred to suck it up and deal with it. I was not. I will continue to voice my opinion until I'm blue. If we continue to do what we have always done, we will never move forward as a nation; there will always be hate. This nation is not made of 100% Christian, heterosexuals that marry within their race, live a wealthy lifestyle and breed perfect, athletic, scholarship earning children. We are diverse. We will continue to become more diverse. A union or marriage between a couple that is unlike my marriage poses zero threat to the sanctity of my relationship with my husband.
One day, I'm willing to bet, we'll have a gay president, or perhaps a Jewish president, or maybe Hindu, Asian, Greek Orthodox or Jehovah's Witness. [You may replace "president" with any other political position if you'd like]. What if these 'non-traditional' and/or non-Christian leaders were to make it illegal for you to praise Christ in public, cheat on your spouse, or anything else you do on a regular basis? They are bringing their religious views into the equation while running the United States of America. This is dangerous.
It saddens me that so many people who have no issues preaching Christianity, do not lead by example. The Bible tells us to love God, love others and love ourselves. The Bible also tells us not to judge. I am far from perfect and I have never claimed to be, but I do try to live a moral life. I love love and everyone else should love love too. Judging others is not the Christian thing to do. Telling others the way they should live their lives is not your right.
So, to my children... Love. Treat others who are different than you with respect. "Normal" is relative, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Stand for what you believe in and don't back down. If you do this, you will go far. Mama will always love you!
I just have to say how much I love what you have had to say here. We were not put on this earth to judge others but to love others. This is the message I tell my kids everyday. It's ok to love people that are "different" than us. As long as they treat you with respect they are more than deserving of the same. You be friends with and love whoever you want, stand up for what you believe in and repect everyone you meet, in someone eyes you are "different" too and that's ok. It's what makes life interesting and beautiful
ReplyDelete