Friday, July 2, 2010

Let the music play on

My Papa Earl spent a lot of time downloading music and creating CDs. I think his song collection has got to be in the 10,000 plus range, and at least 100 CDs made, that now sit on the shelf above the computer in my Mimi's computer room. I never knew of any other man of his generation that was so tech savvy. He would spend hours on that computer finding different versions of hymns, Elvis Prestley songs to play for Mimi, Korean music, and many others. I can't tell you how many versions of Amazing Grace are downloaded on that computer. My favorites are one played on bagpipes and one that is just the piano.
Anyway, I gave him a list of songs I wanted made into a CD for me to play for Ryan while he was in my belly. Earl didn't like my contemporary mix of a playlist, consisting of Mariah Carey, Dave Matthews, Van Morrison and some others from all decades, especially the theme song from Beverly Hills Cop (Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer). My Deddy and I used to dance to Axel F when I was little. We even danced to it during the Father/Daughter dance at my wedding. After he downloaded all the music and made the CD, Papa said, "What kind of music is this? You're going to ruin that child!"
I was cleaning out closets on Monday and I found a CD that Papa had made for "Peanut #2" when he made the mix CD for Ryan. He gave me both CDs at the same time. I asked him why he was making one for a child that wasn't even thought of yet and his response was, "Because I won't be around and the child needs to know what good music is!" I brushed his comment aside. Death of those so close to me is not something that I particularly want to talk or think about, even though we all know that it is inevitable. Plus, Papa talked about "when he's gone..." all the time. So it really wasn't anything new to me. The CD that he made for the child now known as Liam (or Lil Earl to some of you) is a mix of children's Bible songs. Papa may not be here physically to hold and play with Liam, but his legacy lives on through a little boy who he will never meet. He will teach him what "good music" is.
Later on, closer to Ryan's birth, I asked Papa for a CD of just piano music so that Ryan would have something during nap time and bedtime to fall asleep to and also to drown out the rest of the noise in the house. This time, I gave no request list. Papa had full and total say as to what went on the CD. 2 years and 7 months later, Ryan still goes to sleep to the tune of Floyd Kramer.

4 comments:

  1. This is so heartwarming, made me cry. God bless you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful entrance to your blog!!!!! What a special message! Liam is so blessed to have this special gift from his Papa! Love Ryan & Liam's Nonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder of the love of music that my daddy had, but you made me cry. Stop doing that

    ReplyDelete