Father's Day was yesterday. It was a good day, but different from others we've had in the past. Several things were different. One was that Brett had to work, so we didn't see him for the majority of the day. Ryan and I made him a breakfast of pancakes, eggs & bacon, Ryan fixed his coffee for him (with a little assistance from me), and I ironed his clothes for him. I don't usually iron his clothes, that's his thing. I hate to iron. But, I sucked it up so he wouldn't have to go through the monotony of fighting wrinkles to get his shirt "country club perfect." Ryan gave him the third, and last, of his gifts... a shirt he made at school with the word "Dad" ironed on it with his colorful little hand prints pressed all over the front of it. Such a treasure. His other 2 gifts were given to him on Saturday. Saturday morning Ryan gave him a 20-page picture book with pictures in it of Brett & Ryan from the day Ryan was born up until just 2 weeks ago. The book came complete with a poem about little boys wanting to grow up and be like their Daddies. The poem itself will make your eyes water, but add the pictures to it of 2 of my special men and I can't hold back the tears. Then, Saturday afternoon Ryan presented him with a wall clock in the shape of a NY Giants football helmet. We purchased it at the Blueberry Festival earlier that day. Ryan had a choice between a Wolfpack clock and a Giants clock. He knows how much his Daddy loves the Giants... he picked the Giants clock. I told Brett that it would look great upstairs with his Giants helmet lamp that he's had since he was little. I gave me the same look he gave when I told him he couldn't put that lamp in the living room. So, while he was at work yesterday, I hung the clock in the kitchen. :) It won't stay there, but I wanted to see if he would notice. He did! I made a huge effort yesterday to not ask him to do anything. I cooked twice, cleaned up from breakfast & dinner, bathed Ryan, folded laundry, vacuumed... even took the trash out. All in an effort to give him the same relaxing time he gave me on mother's day. I failed at about 9:00 last night. I was stranded in the bathroom with no toilet paper and had to ask him to pause the US Open, get up off our comfy bed and grab me a roll. I know, maybe tmi, but hey... it is necessary.
The other thing that was different was the absence of my Papa Earl. Instead of the usual church then lunch at my grandparents' house with my family, we met in Raleigh and went out to lunch. All of us weren't there, but the biggest hole in the group was Papa. It's an unusual hole though. At times, you can feel that he's still there. I guess that reflects the close bond we all had with him. I can't imagine how my Deddy, aunt and uncle are feeling this Father's day. My mom too, who said goodbye to my Papa Ellyson almost 2 years ago. It has been almost 1 year since we all said goodbye to Papa Earl. I will never forget the feeling of love and the strong emotions that were felt in that hospital room as he took his last breaths. Our entire family, all together to pay tribute to this man we called Honey, Dad, Daddy, and Papa. We held his hand, talked to him and around him, rubbed his head, kissed him and prayed for him. What more could a father have asked for? That to me, is a testimonial to what kind of dad he was to his children. Strong, faithful, loving, protecting, stern... all those fatherly words. He was all of them. That is the example my Deddy had and I see my Papa Earl in him all the time. My Deddy is such a great father. And I know I'm blessed to have him in my life. He has always and forever put his children first in whatever decisions he has made. He provides for, loves and protects us. He's happy with us when good things happen and he's sad with us with not-so-good things happen. He supports us in every way a father should support his children and I truly believe I have my Papa Earl to thank for a large part of that.
Back to Brett, my children are blessed to have him as their daddy. I could not have designed a more perfect man to father my children. I try to tell him that all the time and I hope he knows that I mean what I say. The examples that he sets for Ryan are amazing. He's always been a hands-on dad. He's never been one to say "I'm not changing that poopy diaper," or "I'm not cleaning up that puke." And he's always been one to show Ryan how to do things, help him when he needs it and love him with all he's got in him. I love him!
Here are a few pictures from our weekend.



I love you my little girl
ReplyDelete