Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Resisting Growing Up

Let me set the scene for you: This morning Ryan got up and staggered in to the den rubbing his eyes with bink (pacifier) in hand. I made his waffle for him, poured his orange juice and sat him down at his little table in the den so he could watch Little Bill while he ate and I got ready. Prior to turning on the tv he has to have his clothes on, otherwise he'll never put them on. This is the conversation he and I had while putting on his clothes.

Me: "Ryan, when can we get rid of your bink?"
Ryan: "No"
Me: "Binks are for baby boys. Don't you think we should give your bink to the babies?"
Ryan: "No! I. AM. NOT. A. BIG. BOY!"


Hmmm.... a little resistance ya think?

My best friend, Jody, had her "plug", as her mother called it, until she went to kindergarten. (Sorry Jod! Had to call you out on this one!) Other than the obvious, she has no ill side effects. (hahaha, just kidding!) Maybe I'll just let him keep his bink until he just grows out of it himself. I certainly wouldn't want him to feel as if I made him grow up too soon.

2 comments:

  1. I had mine until I was 5... it's a little embarrassing that I can actually remember the day I got rid of it. My dentist bribed me with a Popples doll and my Granddad promised me an Easy Bake Oven (that I used exactly once). I stood over the trash can sobbing as i dropped it in. So sad. But I never had braces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gavin had his paci until he was 3.. we took it to the dentist with us for his first dentist visit. After he got his teeth cleaned he actually handed it to the dentist because he wanted to pick a toy from their "treasure chest." We have never looked back =) I was super nervous b/c he had to have his paci for bed time but it's been a breeze since that dentist appointment.. such a shocker!

    ReplyDelete