Monday, April 19, 2010

A boy named Monster...

It's a boy! So they say... I don't know that I'm totally convinced. Not because I don't want a boy, the thought of 2 boys just totally thrills me, but I just didn't see his boy parts on the ultrasound like I saw Ryan's when we went for his big reveal. I saw what the ultasound tech said was it, but with Ryan it was blatenly obvious. Not so with this baby. But nonetheless, until proven otherwise, we are having another boy! A nameless boy. Well, not quite. Ryan has lovingly named this child Monster. I'm not sure of his reasoning, but for now, I am also referring to him as Monster. Simply for lack of a name and I can't keep calling him "the baby." Although, I do also call him Peanut.
Choosing a name for someone is such a large responsibility. A name is a person's identity, it reflects their personality in a way. Choosing a name that is cute for a baby and strong and masculine for a grown man is a little intimidating. Ryan's name was easy. It just came and it was accepted. And he certainly fits the name with everything he does. Honestly, we would have chosen Ryan whether he were boy or girl. But for "Monster," there is nothing that just comes to me. One name did, but it was short lived after a few people voiced their opinions. When it comes to myself, I care little about what other's opinions, but when it comes to my child, if his own family doesn't like his name, what am I setting him up for?

Maybe we'll just keep the chosen name to ourselves until he's born. I never understood that concept before, but now I'm starting to get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment