I believe in love at first sight.
Cheesy, right? Well, not for me. I met Brett when he interviewed me for an internship at a golf course in June of 2004. I remember the entire experience, word for word, minute by minute, feeling by feeling, as if it were yesterday. I remember he was wearing black pants and a black & red striped polo. **I have the shirt in one of my memory boxes. He was THE. MOST. BEAUTIFUL. THING. I had ever seen. This uncontrollable feeling of 'I have to be with this man' came over me. As soon as I snapped back to reality I looked at his ring finger. Surely this gorgeous piece of God's work is married. NOPE! No ring! Ok, Ashleigh... game on! I sat down, participated in my interview as professionally as my melting heart would allow. At the end of it, I got up and shook his beautiful hand and left. I couldn't get in the car fast enough to call my Mama to give her the good news; I'm getting married! Well, not exactly, but I certainly found the man I was going to marry, whether he knew it or not. She laughed at me.
Fast forward to the next day: I get a phone call while I'm sitting in the lobby of my college gym. The conversation went like this:
B: "Hey, Ashleigh. This is Brett."
A: "Uh, who?"
B: "Brett. From Anderson Creek."
A: "Oh! Hey!" - ok, so not only do I now feel like a complete idiot, but I feel like a complete idiot while on the phone with my crush... as if I'm 13 again.
B: "So, can you start this weekend?"
A: "SURE!" (SCORE!)
B: "Ok, I'll see you at 6:30am"
A: "uhhhhhhhh... yeah, ok. 6:30"
That Saturday was a whirlwind. Trying to keep my mind on learning a point of sale system when I'd rather be learning all about this man who was teaching me was hard. It was like I stepped in a time machine and went back to middle school again. My palms were sweaty, my hands were shaky, I was clumsy. What was this feeling? Oh yeah........ L-O-V-E! I was in love. I was deeply, madly in love with this man whom I'd spent all of 2 hours with.
I got through the day, I went home and I thought about him. I went back to work on Sunday. My eye candy was there with me too. He made working weekends seem like a vacation. I was addicted. I was addicted to Brett.
Then he left. He left me and went to Mexico. Now, keep in mind at this point I had not given any inclination that I was interested in him. Ok, so interested might not be a strong enough word. He had no idea that I was obsessed with him.
Midway through his Mexican adventure, he texted me, "Do you miss me?" WHOA! I was beside myself.
He came home on a Sunday afternoon. We went out that Monday. He moved in with me 2 weeks later. We got married 2 years after that.
So see.... Love at first sight happens and it happened to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment