Thursday, May 27, 2010

Growing up Dippolito

When Ryan was born he stayed in newborn sized clothing about 2 weeks longer than I had anticipated and the same applied to his 0-3 month clothing on so on. Still, even as he is nearing 30 months, he can wear some of his 18 month clothes. He's always been on the tiny side, except when he was born. 8lbs, 6oz is not exactly tiny. I was going through baby clothes the other day and I held a newborn sleeper up to Ryan's body and I couldn't believe how small that outfit was against him. Anyway, the point is I have been through 30 months of packing up small clothes. I always get a little sad when I pack up his clothes, but at the same time it always excites me to see what I have for him to wear in the next size. The sadness never really lasts very long. Obviously children grow, develop, learn new things, become more independent, etc. etc. etc. HOWEVER, this morning I was smacked (very hard) in the face with the fact that my baby is no longer a baby. Yesterday Ryan *told* Brett he was wearing big boy underwear to school. Brett allowed it. It was a good move. He did well through lunch and afternoon nap, but then had an accident on the playground and moved back into a pullup but kept it dry for the rest of the day. Fast forward to this morning and Ryan (Brett had to be at work early, so I was on morning duty this morning.) told me, "I wanna wear big boy underwear to school." Ok, cool. This is good. We're making progress! The next thing though took me quite off guard and this is where the smacked in the face reference comes into play. "I wanna pick out my shirt," he says. WHAT?! Since when do you pick out your clothes?

Don't get me wrong. I want my boys to be strong, independent, capable men with good values who can and will do for themselves and love others and God. I do not want to be the mother that makes her 16-year-old's bed every day or puts away his clothes. My boys will be equal opportunity men. They will know how to do laundry and vacuum as well as change a tire or build a deck. But for crying out loud, he's only TWO! Wanting to wear underwear and pick out his own clothes all in the same morning is a little overwhelming for me - the hormonal, exceptionally emotional pregnant mommy who loves her little boy to absolute pieces. Maybe when I am no longer pregnant I will come back and read this and laugh. But, for the time being, I hope I have some empathy from my fellow mommies.

When we found out that "Monster" is a boy I was told by a mother of 2 boys that I was a lucky woman. She said I was lucky because boys love their mama's forever. Not that girls don't, but it is a different kind. I already knew I was lucky to have a son when Ryan was born. Now I consider myself to have hit the jackpot twice, but of course not without some help from above!

1 comment: