Friday, February 4, 2011

Saltine Crackers

I'm having lunch with a friend today at 12:30. It's 10:30 now and I didn't have breakfast. To keep from wasting away at my desk, I ate some saltine crackers that were in my desk from a take out lunch I ordered last week. (The were sealed in their package, of course.) Just as a put the first cracker in my mouth, Somewhere Over the Rainbow started playing on my Pandora channel.
You're probably saying, "So what?"
This strange combination of crackers and the song quickly took me back to my elementary school days. I used to get off the bus at my Mimi & Papa's house. Mimi was working at that time, but my Papa Earl was there, every day, to greet me. I was required to do my homework soon after I got there. I wasn't a big fan. I always had Spelling to do, and usually something from one or two other subjects. But before I did my homework, I got a snack. Saltine crackers and a Coke.
I ate weird things. I remember eating raw cabbage as a snack too. Raw cabbage? Really? I still love it. My Mimi always buys bags of pecans from the ladies at church. I would eat those too. Somedays though, I was normal. Chocolate chip cookies, chips, sometimes a whole pb&j sandwich. Regardless of what it was or the choice I made, my Papa lovingly fulfilled my request.
It's the little things. You know?
Papa helped me with my homework and quized me on my spelling words daily. I hated it, but now looking back I'm grateful. :) After my homework, I sunk into his recliner and lost myself in Punky Brewster, The Brady Bunch and The Flinstones until I was picked up to go home. On Friday evenings though, the whole family came over and we'd order seafood.

I think it might be time for a seafood night on Sparger Rd...

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Friday night seafood is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post - amazing how small tasks that we do can bring up such wonderful memories! Love you! Hope you all feel better soon! Mom

    ReplyDelete